There is so much about the sea that is mysterious and completely unknown. Ocean Literacy means understanding the ocean’s influence on you and your influence on the ocean.
It is believed that all life originated from the ocean. In addition to our origin, the ocean is our support system and friend. It cleanses and heals. The SEA: Sisterhood Empowerment Academy is just one eco-friendly way to visit the healing waters of the U.S. Virgin Islands and participate in other life-affirming, holistic health wellness activities in a women-centered sacred healing space.
There are 7 principles of Ocean Literacy:
- The Earth has one big ocean with many features.
- The ocean and life in the ocean shape the features of the Earth.
- The ocean is a major influence on weather and climate.
- The ocean makes Earth habitable.
- The ocean supports a great diversity of life and ecosystems.
- The ocean and humans are inexplicably interconnected.
- The ocean is largely unexplored.
According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, an ocean-literate person:
- Understands the Essential Principles and Fundamental Concepts about the functioning of the ocean;
- Can communicate about the ocean in a meaningful way; and
- Is able to make informed and responsible decisions regarding the ocean and its resources.
For us at the SEA, we focus on the sea’s remarkable healing properties. Scientists, educators, and healers from many tribes and cultures, ancient and current, do the same.
The ocean is arguably the most important element of the Healing Trifecta: Sun, Air, and SEA. Catering to all senses, it soothes, repairs, and generally feels wonderful.